Most potential business coaching and mentoring assignments are initiated by the client for one of 3 reasons:
- They either have issues, problems or concerns that led to them seeking assistance from an experienced, independent expert business coach or mentor
- They have a specific task that they want them to manage for them, e.g. preparation of their business plan or marketing strategy, or
- To utilise their specific skills and experience in their business on a part-time interim basis, e.g. as a Virtual Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This has become popular for small to medium size businesses who want those skills and experience in their business but either don’t need or can’t afford a full time CFO
One of my areas of expertise is helping businesses to solve any issues or problems that they’re currently experiencing.
How I do that:
The first step, before accepting an assignment, is to have a free no commitment, strategy session with the potential client, and start by asking a few questions to make sure I understand exactly what their issues, problems or concerns are.
it’s about making sure that the things we’re going to address are the true underlying Cause of the issues they are experiencing, not just the Effects.
So, in a nutshell, it’s about making sure we get to the Root Cause of the issues they are experiencing, not just the Effects.
For example, they might say “My problem is that my sales process or my product isn’t working, we’re not converting enough potential customers.” But when we dive deeper, it could be that the sales team are simply not at the right level to close their offer.
Having the right people, in the right jobs is crucial to your growth and success.
I typically work with the business owners and top executives; I help them to work through their current concerns to identify then fix those issues, and then to move forward and grow their business to achieve their vision.
I do that by working with them, initially to carry out a “health check” of their business using a proven 10 step process developed by Mark Bouris that he called the “Playbook for success”. It’s basically a “Business Development and Management Tool” he developed over the years and used in his own businesses with great success.
Once we have gone through that step by step health check, they will have a clear picture of how their business should be structured and exactly how they are going to move forward, to grow their business and achieve their vision for their business and themselves.
The Health Check process may also identify the need for a systems, process or technical consultant to carry out a review, and possibly systems and process modifications, upgrades or replacement.
Whilst I would not be directly involved in that consulting assignment, I would liaise closely with the Consultants and attend the regular progress meetings on behalf of my client.
You know how
many successful business owners and senior executives who have built a substantial mid- sized businesses, reach a point where they are so busy working in their business that they don’t have time to work on their business, and no time for their families, friends, or themselves.
When they reach this point, the combination of their limited experience in running and continuing to develop and grow a larger business and the lack of balance in their lives will often lead to stress, anxiety and lack of focus.
As a result, their business’s performance plateau’s or even goes backwards, and if that happens the way ahead becomes uncertain.
We can solve this.
What I do
If I believe it will be beneficial, I will help them to find ways to focus more of their time and share of mind on working “on” rather than “in” their business.
This may require the appointment of either a General Manager to manage the day to day operational activities, or a part-time Virtual CFO to oversee the finances and strategic direction of the business on behalf of the owner or CEO.
The Part-time CFO option will be a much cheaper option, and if your level of skill in financial management is not high, having that level of financial expertise in your business can make a massive difference, so may be the best way to begin with.
This will free up their time and enable them to devote more time and energy to identifying the opportunities and critically important actions they must take to get the results they want, and at the same time help them to become outstanding leaders of their companies and live a more balanced lifestyle; making time for their family, friends, and themselves.
Working as a team, our results are achieved by applying their expertise in their business niche’ coupled with the knowledge and experience I have built from over 25 years at “C” level (CEO and CFO) in businesses of all sizes, and my recent experience in the latest online technology, internet marketing and online business coaching.
Typically, Owners and CEO’s Of Mid-Size Businesses have 4 Key Areas of Concern
1. Working IN the business not ON the business
– Too busy with day to day business issues, and the need to delegate ongoing day-to-day tasks and issues to their functional leaders.
– High Level Financial Management – Many will lack the required skills and experience, coming from either a sales and marketing or technical background.
– No time to plan and implement business development and growth ideas.
– Underlying concern that they may be getting “out of their depth” into new areas in which they, and their executive team have limited experience or expertise.
– lack of clear direction for the business,
– not fulfilling their personal aspirations and vision (For their business, or their personal life)
2. Not leading a balanced lifestyle- family, personal relationships and interests suffering due to their work commitments (Time and prioritisation).
– No time or energy to maintain their physical or mental fitness
– Not enough down-time for stress reduction, rest, recreation or relaxation.
– Need a holiday (Do your employees take more holidays than you do?)
3 Not having someone trusted (with the necessary skills ands experience) to provide independent expert support and guidance with short-term and long-term business decisions, plans and goals.
4. Keeping up with technology, politics, economic conditions and trends.
I can assist your business by using my specialist skills, knowledge and extensive experience to provide a unique insight from having actually done what you are about to do on a number of occasions during my corporate career, in multiple companies and in various industries.
Board experience over the last 20 years, serving on the boards of more than 5 significant Australasian organisations, including Optus Communications, Optus Vision, Qantas, Air NZ, and Sunbeam Victa has given me a unique insight into how independent non-executive board members perform their statutory duties and add value, whilst maintaining their relationships with the business owners and the top management team.
25+ years “C” level executive experience in Large Corporations, Mid- Sized Companies and New Start-Ups, across multiple industries in general, financial and operational management positions, in 6 countries has given me a unique perspective and understanding of the critical elements of a successful business and how to implement them.
8 years’ in General Manager and State Manager roles, recruited and managed high-quality sales teams
Worked alongside and learnt from several well-known and highly respected business figures in Australia, including Gerry Harvey, Kerry Packer, James Packer, Bill Dix, Phil Cave and Bob Mansfield, in companies such as Harvey Norman, Qantas, Australian Consolidated Press, Optus Communications, and Sunbeam Victa.
Training and experience in internet marketing and social media over 6 years experience, both as a practitioner and coach/mentor, has enabled me to understand how to infuse modern thinking and technology with traditional business solutions to achieve optimal solutions to today’s business challenges
Personally coached online, over 100 business owners, directors and marketing managers, mostly from small to medium sized businesses, in the skills they would need to take full advantage of the amazing new opportunities that selling and marketing their products or services online and potentially worldwide, now offers to companies of all sizes
My Key Skills and Experience Include:
– The vision to see the “big picture,” coupled with the ability to master the detail that drives a business, ·
– Strategic thinking, corporate restructuring and change management experience; complementing my financial and general management knowledge and experience ·
– Completed a number of mergers, acquisitions, business divestments and management buyouts, · Extensive experience in the preparation and presentation of long term strategic plans ·
– Chaired committees that undertook due diligence, prepared the prospectus, and negotiated the share sale strategies with financial institutions for the IPO’s of both Optus and Qantas ·
– Successful in securing a number of significant fund raisings, including a $2.6bn. facility with 18 banks for Optus Communications.
– 20 years’ experience in manufacturing industry in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
– Business systems implementations and upgrades have been a special interest throughout my career, from SAP and MRP2 to bespoke industry specific systems in a number of companies.
My broad expertise and experience has enabled me to provide a comprehensive depth of mentoring that few coach/mentors could match.
To read testimonials from some of the people I have worked with, click on the link below:
Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from Cranfield University (UK), and
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA -UK).
If you believe I might be able to assist you, to work with you to help you to resolve your current issues and to take your business and personal life to the next level, and you would like to learn more, just cllick on the button below to book a
In the message box please mention “business Coach” or “Mentor” and your Mobile Phone Number and we will get back to you shortly.
Alternatively, send me a text message with a brief message, and I will call you back for an initial chat. My mobile number is 0418 277 137